Alhazred is a collector of rare tomes and books. Being very rich, he is ready to pay for rare books, especially the Book of Condemnation (the Suikoden version of the Necronomicon).
During the war, he arrived in Rainwall but found no further leads, although he met Freyjadour Falenas. Alhazred implored Freyjadour to inform him if the Prince came across the cursed book.
The book actually belonged to Salum Barows. Salum's son, Euram, took the cursed book from his father's collection to Yashuna Village. He then disguised himself as a fortune teller and gave the cursed book to Freyjadour to seek revenge. Freyjadour kept it and placed it in the Ceras Lake Castle's Storage Room. Chuck, the warehouse keeper, told him that it glowed strangely and that he didn't want to keep it anymore. Freyjadour decided to give the cursed book back to the fortune teller in Yashuna, but when he couldn't find the man, he decided to leave the book with the local innkeeper. He went to Estrise and told Alhazred about it. The two of them went back to Yashuna and saw the book draining Euram's life. They fought the cursed book and managed to seal it again, saving Euram.
After the incident, Alhazred gave the Rune of Condemnation to Freyjadour and he joined the Loyalist Army, serving as the castle librarian and helping the Prince in his fight against the Godwins. After the war, he headed for the Nagarea Theocracy in search of archaic tomes, but was refused entry, which was hardly enough to stop him.
Role in the GameEdit
While your base is in Rainwall, run into Alhazred near the trading shop. After you get your HQ, head to Yashuna Village and talk to the fortune teller in the Tricolor Inn (2nd floor closest room to the stairs). Get the Cursed Tome. Place the Cursed Tome in storage, then sleep at Marina's Inn. Go back to the storage room and get the book from Chuck, who will tell you that it glows strangely and doesn't want to store it anymore. Afterwards, go back to Yashuna Village to find out that the fortune teller isn't there anymore. Instead, give it to the woman in the room who says that she will give the book to its owner. Go to Estrise and talk to Alhazred near the fountain, then take him to Yashuna Village where the fortune teller was. Fight the Cursed Book. After the scene with Euram, get the Condemnation Rune and ask him to join immediately or you can recruit/find him in Estrise afterwards.
Note: You cannot trigger Alhazred's sidequest after Godwin's troops pull out of Rainwall, since you can't talk to him anymore.
Alhazred is the castle librarian. If you acquire a book from a treasure chest, shop, etc., you can give it to Alhazred.
List of Old Books:
- Old Book #1 - Location: Raftfleet, the Dahak.
- Old Book #2 - Location: Ceras Lake Ruins, western side.
- Old Book #3 - Location: Godwin Castle, second visit.
- Old Book #4 - Location: Eresh's dungeon.
- Old Book #5 - Location: Lunas, Priest's room.
- Old Book #6 - Location: Deep Twilight Forest.
- Old Book #7 - Location: Stormfist, Arena Front, by the Double Arm Tactic
- Old Book #8 - Location: Sable, Armes Border.
- Old Book #9 - Location: Alhazred starts with this book.
- Old Book #10 - Location: Alhazred automatically gets this book after certain events.
- Old Book #11 - Location: Alhazred automatically gets this book after certain events.
- Old Book #12 - Location: Sauronix Castle, town.
- Old Book #13 - Location: Gordius, inside a tent.
Alhazred is a powerful mage, but his short range makes him weak for the front line. He has strong elemental affinity which makes him a versatile mage with his three Rune slots but he lacks the raw power or special qualities of mages like Zerase and Viki.
Fortunately for him, since he can work with any kind of element, he can also be put in any kind of magic role you want to fill. His incantation skill is at SS, allowing him to be faster than a good amount of enemies.
It is possible to evolve Alhazred into a damage-slinging buff machine. Or, if you want to concentrate on one element only, you can give him a Magical Rune/Magic Absorb Rune/elemental rune setup, giving him a sheer endless amount of spells. This setup, however, works best if you also put a tank with a Firefly Rune in the party to block of the damage.
Alhazred, while not the best mage, is certainly the most flexible, so outfit him how you see fit and start casting.
- Head - Light
- Body - Clothes
- Hand - Medium
- Foot - Medium
Weapon Type: Book
Weapon Range: S
Weapon Starting Level: 1
|Name||Nameless Cults||Seven Cryptical Books||Howls of Demons|
Alhazred can participate in Shining Scalp.
Alhazred can lead a three-star archery unit or a three-star Rune archer ship and adds one use of the Mother Earth spell to his unit.
- Alhazred is a traveling book peddler... No, that´s not right. He´s a collector of rare tomes. He doesn´t collect the tomes to sell them, he said, so the term "peddler" apparently offends him.
- He must be a very rich man, if he comes across a rare enough tome, he shell out enough cash to build a castle. Must be nice having that kind of cash to throw around, eh?
- The other day, I saw him... It was the middle of the night, and he was holding a hide-bound tome as if he were in love. And that was no ordinary hide...
(The gorgeous calligraphy is illegible.)
(You can make out a few words here and there, but don't know what they mean.)
- His name originates from Abdul Alhazred, a fictional author created by horror writer H.P. Lovecraft as the author of the Necronomicon.
- His starting weapon, Nameless Cults is another book used by writer H.P. Lovecraft, as Unaussprechlichen Kulten and its upgrade, Seven Cryptical Books is likely based on the Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan from "The Other Gods" and "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath".