Barbarossa Rugner is the main antagonist in Suikoden.
He was the seventeenth emperor of the Scarlet Moon Empire. Due to being the hero of the Succession War upon claiming the throne, he is called the "Golden Emperor". His late wife is Claudia Rugner and he had a close relationship with Windy, due to reminding him of his late wife.
Barbarossa is 52 years old and the emperor of the Scarlet Moon Empire. During the Succession War, seven or so years prior to the events of Toran Liberation War, he defeated Emperor Geil Rugner. Back then, many people loved and respected him. However, as of late, his decisions have been more and more strange.
It turns out, the Court Magician Windy, who bears an uncanny resemblance to the emperors late wife, is using her magic to control him. However, being the bearer of the Sovereign Rune, her magic has no effect on him and he is merely following her due to his feelings for her. He battled Tir and his company at the end of Toran Liberation War, transforming himself into the Golden Hydra with the use of his sword. After his defeat and explanation of his decision to feign being controlled, he grabs Windy and jumps off the top of his castle, never to be seen again.
- His name is based on an Italian nickname that refers to German emperor Friedrich I.
- His name is spelled as Barbarosa instead of Barbarossa in one of Suikoden III's play script and in the original English translation of Suikoden. This completely changes the meaning of his name (in Italian), from "Red Beard" to "Pink Beard".
- Despite that, he has mustache but not a beard.
- Barbarossa was originally confirmed to have died along with Windy at the end of Suikoden, but Konami later altered their status to "missing in action", allowing for the possibility of their return in a future story.
- Barbarossa is featured in only 3 parts of the game: